Welcome to the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance Program
Unfortunately, with the overwhelming demand for much needed rental assistance by those who have completed and qualified for WERA, funds are now exhausted.
WERA is now closed.
If you have not yet applied for this years Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program for a hand up with your energy cost, please contact Energy Services at 800-506-5596 or apply online at heat.help
For other resources available in your county, please refer to https://energyandhousing.wi.gov
Thank you for your interest in obtaining Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance. In order to qualify for a rental assistance benefit, you must meet the requirements listed below and provide in a timely fashion required documentation.
Our agency will be providing these benefits for all Wisconsin counties with the exception of Brown, Dane, Milwaukee, and Waukesha.
Participation for WERA benefits will only result in a rental assistance payment if and when all requirements have been met and documentation has been provided.
- Complete a WHEAP application for energy assistance. This can be done using one of the following methods:
- Complete the provided online WERA pre-application for rental assistance. No Social Security Number, Social Security Card or US Citizenship is required for WERA eligibility. No se requiere tarjeta ni Número de Seguro Social o ser ciudadano de los Estados Unidos para ser elegible o aplicar para fondos de WERA.
- Complete a renter verification form. This must be completed by you and your existing landlord.
- Complete an income attestation form. When completing this form, you are stating the economic impact that has been placed upon your household.
- Provide proof of all household income for the prior month. For example, if you're applying in July, you will need to provide proof of income for June. Proof of income could be in the form of check stubs, social security award letters, unemployment printouts, etc.
- Provide a copy of your lease and/or proof of rental payments.
After completion of your WERA pre-application at wera.help, you will promptly receive an email with detailed instructions and the necessary WERA income attestation and WERA renter verification forms required to complete your application. Upon accessing the wera.help website with the code provided in the email, you will be able to upload the required documentation to complete your application. Should your landlord not be a current participant in the WERA program on behalf of their tenant, we will assist you in providing the landlord with a simple landlord vendor agreement form. This will be necessary for providing rental payments to them.
WERA recipients may also be eligible for utility payment assistance through the WERA program.
Should you have any questions or need any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our dedicated WERA services staff members will shortly respond to your inquiry.